- Book a room
Ten Tips To Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle on the Road
Advice and Live Q&A from Hilton Worldwide’s Head of Fitness
MCLEAN, Va. - Don't let traveling be your excuse to let your New Year's resolutions falter as the year goes on. Jodi Sullivan, Hilton Worldwide's senior director of global fitness, offers these 10 tips to help keep your resolutions on track.
- Plan in advance. Schedule your workout like a business meeting. Determine the day and time you plan to visit the gym and log it into your itinerary. Keep in mind the majority of our fitness centers offer 24-hour access.
- Get up and stretch on flights. Take a few minutes every hour or so to stretch and improve circulation while combating fatigue.
- Break your routine. Try new activities. Repeating the same workout every day can become mundane and methodical. If the treadmill is your staple, go for the elliptical. Our state-of-the-art fitness centers have everything you need to mix it up.
- Be conscious of your caloric intake. It can be challenging to maintain healthy eating habits on the road. Incorporate plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables into your meals and try to avoid high calorie, high fat food.
- Pack your sneakers first. Packing your workout gear first will ensure it makes it into your bag. Consider packing lightweight workout clothes to help reduce the overall weight of your luggage.
- Walk during meeting breaks. Make good use of the time in between meetings by walking while returning phone messages.
- Stay hydrated. Traveling can dehydrate our systems. Drink six to eight glasses of water a day to flush toxins and remain alert.
- Get a good night's sleep. Try to keep your waking and sleeping hours as close to your regular schedule as possible. Sleep is as important as exercise and eating healthy. Make sure you recharge your battery by getting at least six to eight hours of sleep every night.
- Practice proper breathing techniques. During stressful situations, our breathing is adversely affected. By practicing proper breathing, our overall mental and physical health may be improved.
- Get a massage. Book a massage or spa treatment at one of our eforea: spa at Hilton spas to help alleviate stress and rid your body of toxins.
"Every little bit counts, so if you only have 20 minutes in between meetings, use that time wisely and get a quick workout in if you can," adds Sullivan. "Also, it's important to set realistic goals and remember to be patient and consistent with your routine. By incorporating a few of these tips, you will be steps closer to achieving your fitness resolutions."
Continue the conversation with Jodi on Twitter during a special Hilton Worldwide chat, Wednesday, February 22, 2012 starting at 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. EST. Jodi will answer questions on a range of topics related to fitness and hospitality from the latest in workout equipment to general trends in the industry. Be sure to follow @HiltonWorldwide and join the conversation by following the hashtag #HWchat or submitting questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year, Hilton Worldwide conducted extensive testing of state-of-the-art equipment, design options, and amenities, in its McLean, Va. headquarters. Hotel owners and employees were encouraged to sample the new equipment and give feedback. Combined results led to new solutions that will be featured throughout Hilton Worldwide's portfolio, varying by brand and location. The phased rollout began this month with approximately 300 full-service hotel fitness centers. For more information, visit www.hiltonworldwide.com.